The Roller Derby has been shot. Things learnt during the shoot.
- The mono-pod was great for very quick turning and tracking. Focus is quite hard when doing this, but we sorta knew that already. A follow focus would make life so much easier.
- The 70-200 f2.8 IS was brilliant at getting close up action but I need more practice with it. Time to add it to my must purchase list.
- The last minute dolly purchase as a win. The footage looks great, but will need some Smooth Cam treatment for the floor bumps.
- Making up the camera with coloured electrical tape was a great idea. Make identifying parts a lot faster.
- I need to make all my rigs use the same quick release base plate system. Too much time lost changing between tripod, mono-pod and Zacuto system.
- I need to work on my interview technique. Watching back to footage I always start a question with “so umm”. While my questions where written out beforehand, maybe memorising them will help remove my verbal tick.
I think overall the shoot went well, but the next thing is to see what I can make of it.
You can follow some of the progress over at the facebook page: http://facebook.com/joffrest
Now on to importing and transcoding.
Feel free to ask questions in the comments if you want to know what I am doing.